Syntagm
Dossier

Humble Sacha keen to get down to business against Argentina: ‘Ready t…

Humble Sacha keen to get down to business against Argentina: ‘Ready to do my job’

Springbok star Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu is not taking anything for granted and is completely focused on producing a clinical performance when he returns from injury in their one-off Test against Argentina in Buenos Aires on Saturday. saltysenoritaaz.org

Feinberg-Mngomezulu has fond memories of facing Los Pumas, after he broke the Springbok individual scoring record for a single game last year, when he scored a hattrick of tries and racked up 37 points in their 67-30 win over them in Durban during the Rugby Championship.

But after being asked if that made coming back from injury easier against them, he rather pointed to the tight 32-30 win in the following game against them in London, where he struggled, to show that they cannot be underestimated.

“To be honest, the last game I played against Argentina we won by only two points and it was not my greatest game. I’ve got a couple of things to fix from that,” said Feinberg-Mngomezulu at the Boks team announcement on Tuesday night.

“They tested us in many areas, they smoked me once or twice, so I’m not coming in with a big head or anything like that. I am very humble and ready to just do my job.

“That (Durban) game is a year ago now. Now it is about getting back (into international rugby) and building a foundation.”

Injury comebacks

Despite being just 24, Feinberg-Mngomezulu has already had to come back from a number of serious injuries over his fledgling career, the latest being an ankle syndesmosis injury picked up with the Stormers in their URC quarterfinal win over Cardiff in May.

It required surgery, and saw him ruled out of the Nations Championship Tests in July, and put him in a race against time to prove his fitness before Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry series against the All Blacks, and he said he had put that time off to good use.

“Obviously it was disastrous when it happened and it wasn’t enjoyable. We got so far in the URC, and just to get taken out of there and not be able to help my team (in the semifinal), was frustrating, and then the Springbok equation was even more frustrating,” admitted Feinberg-Mngomezulu.

“But I’m really not one to dwell. I just used the time to look at the game from a more technical aspect and develop areas of my game I probably didn’t have time to do before.

“I watched the England game at Ellis Park, and all I can say is that the Springbok team functions, no matter who is in it.

“I’m just coming in to facilitate that, keep progressing our game and keep on functioning, as well as taking control of the departments that matter in my position. I’m really just trying to build again. I don’t think I’m too far behind because I really worked hard at my rehab.”

Beauden keen to show Yaqeen his speed

An advocate of the All Blacks’ renewed high-tempo style of play, Beauden Barrett is honoured to go head to head with rookie Stormers pivot Yaqeen Ahmed on Friday.

The 35-year-old Barrett will start at flyhalf in the Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry tour opener at Cape Town Stadium.

Fronting the media on Wednesday, the two-time World Rugby Player of the Year lauded debutant Ahmed, who grew up idolising him.

“With him and Sacha [Feinberg-Mngomezulu], the Stormers are in good hands going forward,” he said. “The success of the Springbok U20s in recent times has been superb.

RENNIE: Stormers will want our scalps

“I feel honoured that he looked up to me,” Barrett added. “As All Blacks we’re always trying to do our best to inspire kids, not just in New Zealand.

“It’s pretty cool that we have a chance to go head to head and I’ll certainly make sure that I chat to him after the game because, yeah, he’s certainly the future.”

The former Hurricanes star will lean into his experience and previous tours of South Africa to help guide the All Blacks.

STORMERS TEAM: Yaqeen unleashed on All Blacks

“I can recall playing at Newlands, it’s still in the top three stadiums for me,” he said. “Playing against Schalk Burger, Jean de Villiers, some great names.

“We’ve respectfully prepared around who we’re up against. The Stormers had a successful last season, making the URC semi-finals, so we’re aware of their threats.”

After being omitted from Dave Rennie’s first three matches in charge of the All Blacks, Barrett is eager to make an impact.

“It’s been a good chance to work on my game and freshen up. I’m excited to get out there with [scrumhalf] Cortez Ratima on Friday night against a quality team,” he said.

ALSO: All Blacks sweat on injured skipper

The 2015 World Cup winner added that the All Blacks’ unbeaten start under Rennie has been built on rediscovering their traditional attacking identity.

“What’s probably been evident is the speed and skill set that’s required to play the game that we want to. That’s been very positive for us.

“There’s been a good overflow from the success of the Super Rugby teams; it’s reasonably consistent with the way that Dave and [attack coach] Mike Blair want to play.

“It’s our DNA and how we like to play, how we arguably used to play, and there’s a nice free-flowing element to it,” he concluded.

Photo: Phil Walter/Getty Images

The post Beauden keen to show Yaqeen his speed appeared first on SA Rugby magazine.

Mixed fortunes for Saffas in The Hundred

Calvin Harrison helped Trent Rockets cruise to victory, while Donovan Ferreira and Marco Jansen endured defeats.

Calvin Harrison claimed a wicket as Trent Rockets secured a seven-wicket win over Birmingham Phoenix at Trent Bridge.

The Durban-born leg-spinner dismissed Rehan Ahmed for five, with Craig Overton completing the catch.

Harrison finished with 1-17 from 20 balls, including nine dot balls, as Phoenix posted 111-6 from their allocation.

Joe Clarke led the innings with 62 from 45 deliveries, while Johannesburg-born Sean Dickson finished unbeaten on nine from eight balls.

READ: Pakistan bounce back to square West Indies series

Phoenix captain Donovan Ferreira made one before contributing two catches during the Rockets’ successful chase.

The South African caught Ben Duckett for 22 and Finn Allen for 28, with both wickets going to Usman Tariq. The spinner returned impressive figures of 2-15 from 20 balls.

Aneurin Donald added 17 from six deliveries before Rockets captain Sam Billings took charge of the chase.

Billings struck an unbeaten 31 from 19 balls, including one four and three sixes, as the hosts reached 116-3 after 83 deliveries.

Watch: Fielder turns footballer to complete run-out

At Old Trafford, Marco Jansen made an unbeaten five from three balls as Welsh Fire posted 155-4 against Manchester Super Giants.

The Proteas all-rounder then conceded 42 runs from 15 wicketless deliveries as the hosts raced to 161-1 after just 69 balls.

Heinrich Klaasen and Leus du Plooy were not required to bat for the Super Giants, but both contributed in the field. Du Plooy caught Phil Salt for 48, while Klaasen removed top-scorer Matthew Short for 71.

Tim Seifert finished unbeaten on 62 from 36 balls before Jos Buttler smashed 51 not out from 20 deliveries, including six sixes, to seal a nine-wicket win with 31 balls remaining.

Photo: Gareth Copley/Getty Images

The post Mixed fortunes for Saffas in The Hundred appeared first on SA Cricket Mag.

Porthen eyes enforcer role against Los Pumas

Springbok prop Zach Porthen is relishing the chance to test himself against Argentina’s formidable scrum as he prepares to earn his sixth Test cap in Buenos Aires.

The 22-year-old has excelled so far this season, and was especially impressive with ball-in-hand during his cameos off the bench against England and Scotland in the Nations Championship.

He will once again provide impact from the Bok bench, but says his focus remains firmly on improvement rather than getting caught up in the occasion.

“You’re always trying to better every aspect of your game,” said Porthen.

“Before every training session, I put my head on one or two things. I’ll say today I want to get better at this and that, and I try to be consistent to improve in every single training session.”

MORE: Wiese draws on farm roots, brotherly bond

Porthen is determined to continue building on the foundations of his game.

“The biggest place where I want to get my foot in the ground is at scrum time. So I’m just hoping I can enforce a bit there and just keep improving day in and day out at scrum time.”

Despite Argentina’s long-standing reputation as one of world rugby’s strongest scrummaging sides, the young front-rower insists he is treating the challenge like any other.

“I haven’t really put too much thought into that specifically. I’m just trying to keep the main thing, the main thing. I just see this as the obstacle we’re facing this week and the opportunity, then take it one week at a time.”

LOUW: Boks learned from Los Pumas loss

Porthen credits the Springbok environment for helping him settle quickly at Test level.

“You don’t really feel like you’re being thrown in the deep end because the guys around you set you up for success. The coaching staff and the players guide you through the journey. Obviously there is pressure in wanting to make your country and your family proud, but the players around you really give you confidence.”

ALSO: New Springbok jersey revealed

The tighthead also believes building a strong partnership with loosehead Jan-Hendrik Wessels has strengthened the Bok scrum.

“I’ve started getting used to Jan. I feel very comfortable with him and throughout this week we’ve connected in terms of scrummaging. I feel safe being on his right-hand side.

“We also scrum against phenomenal players. I get to scrum against Boan Venter at training, so that sets me up very well for the Test against Argentina, which I’m very excited for.”

Photo: Sydney Seshibedi/Gallo Images

The post Porthen eyes enforcer role against Los Pumas appeared first on SA Rugby magazine.

Le Malawi qualifié et le Nigéria miraculé

Le groupe C de la Coupe d’Afrique des nations (CAN) – Maroc 2026 a connu, lors de la 3e et dernière journée, un bouleversement qui a permis au Malawi de se qualifier aux quarts de finale malgré sa défaite contre la Zambie (1 – 2), suivi du Nigéria, tenant du titre, qui a écrasé l’Egypte (6 – 2).

Avant le déroulement de la 3e et dernière journée du groupe C de la Coupe d’Afrique des nations (CAN) – Maroc 2026, un seul point devait suffire au Malawi, grande surprise de ce début tournoi, pour valider son billet aux quarts de finale.

Mais finalement, ce fut un véritable coup de théâtre puisque le Malawi a perdu face à la Zambie (1 – 2) et le Nigéria, détenteur du trophée, a écrasé l’Egypte (6 – 2), des résultats qui ont donné lieu à trois équipes avec six points : Malawi, Zambie et Nigéria.

Mais en recourant au règlement du tournoi qui privilégie d’abord le résultat des confrontations directes entre les équipes tout en effaçant les points des matchs contre l’Egypte, le verdict final donne dans l’ordre : le Malawi et le Nigéria qualifiés aux quarts, alors que la Zambie se retrouve troisième et quitte ainsi la compétition.

La sentence a été dure pour les Zambiennes qui croyaient dur comme fer à une qualification après leurs deux succès face à l’Egypte et le … Malawi ! Le but encaissé d’entrée signée Barbra Banda à la (2e) a déstabilisé l’équipe Malawite qui va céder une seconde fois peu avant la pause sur une réalisation de Prisca Chilufya, l’attaquante du club américain d’Angel City FC à la (37e).

En seconde mi-temps, les Flammes ont réussi à réduire la marque par la décisive Temwa Chawinga à la (72e), relançant l’espoir d’égaliser. Seulement, la Zambie a su résister jusqu’au coup de sifflet final en défendant crânement son avantage qui, malheureusement, ne lui permet pas de décrocher son billet qualificatif, car au même moment au stade Larbi Zaouli de Casablanca, le Nigéria s’est baladé face à l’Egypte (6 – 2).

A la pause, les Super Falcons avaient déjà pris deux buts d’avance : Aissat Oshoala sur penalty (21e) et Gift Monday dans le temps additionnel (45e+2e), avant une réduction du score de Nadine Ghazi (45e+10e).

Les nigérianes vont accélérer la cadence en seconde période avec un troisième but d’Uchena Kanu (57e) puis un quatrième sur un autre penalty, signé cette fois Christy Ucheibe (81e). Dans cette euphorie, le Nigéria baisse la garde et encaisse un second but de Nadine Ghazi qui signe son doublé de la soirée (84e).

Dans le temps additionnel, un autre penalty est sifflé au profit des Super Falcons que transforme sans trembler la capitaine Rasheedat Ajibade (90e+1e). Joy Omega enfoncera le clou avec un sixième but (90e+9e) qui ouvre la voie de la qualification à son équipe, mais aussi au Malawi au grand dam de la Zambie.

Classement du groupe C :

Class. Equipes Pts J G N P BP BC Diff.
1 Malawi 6 3 2 0 1 7 5 +2
2 Nigéria 6 3 2 0 1 9 5 +4
3 Zambie 6 3 2 0 1 8 2 +6
4 Egypte 0 3 0 0 3 3 15 -12

L’article Le Malawi qualifié et le Nigéria miraculé est apparu en premier sur Foot Afrique.

In brief

La Guinée demande à la France la restitution du crâne de Bokar Biro et de trois de ses proches La Guinée demande officiellement à la France la restitution du crâne de Bokar Biro et de trois de ses proches, son frère, son père et son chef de guerre. C'est ce qu'annonce sur RFI le ministre guinéen de la culture Moussa Moïse Sylla. La demande a été déposée le 27

“The struggle has to exist!”: The FGC is finally realizing games don’t have to be hard to be good The fighting game community has a gatekeeping problem. When Evo attempted to bring in a mainstream gaming audience by inviting streamers to have showmatches at the large fighting game event, the FGC reacted with rage. The FGC wants things to be authentic, genuine, and passionate. They only want streamers at

Masotti: Our badge is evolving, our DNA is not In an open letter to the Sharks family, controlling owner Marco Masotti explains the Durban-based club's major rebrand. The post Masotti: Our badge is evolving, our DNA is not appeared first on SA Rugby magazine.